<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Oz: Newcastle Review 

# posted by head blogger @ 4:03 pm
Hi all

I just got back from Newcastle and all I can say is "What a great show!". It was possibly the best I've seen so far, Cher was in great spirits and voice, very playful and fun.

Pre show I did a live radio interview with Maynard from Newcastle's ABC Radio 1233 which I'll try and post here for your listening pleasure!

But onto the show itself. The crowd let us down (yet again) with the folks down the front refusing to dance even after Cher gave everyone permission in her monologue that it would be ok to do so. I suspect that she is learning that Australian crowds are far more reserved than those in other parts of the world, I'm hoping that she says that its ok to dance now at every show to help the crowds along a bit.

For Turn Back Time a couple of guys from Sydney threw sailors hats as is tradition which caught the ire of the security team. This in turn caught the ire of Cher who went off at the security guard and scowled at him for being nasty to them. A memorable tour moment, she was not happy at all.

My friend Candi Stratton came to the show as Cher with me which was an absolute hoot. People didn't know which way to look as we walked through the crowd, and Candi made some new friends along the way. During the Village People's YMCA track, they showed Candi up on the jumbotron (screens) doing all the moves and being hot and fabulous.

Cher remarked during her monologue that she can see everyone on her monitor backstage, even the impersonator whilst looking straight at Candi!! What a great moment!

At the end of Turn Back Time a few people left and this opened up a front row seat for Candi next to the Sydney boys that threw the hats. They were sweet enough to get her and let her stay with them and as Cher was saying goodbye at the end Cher motioned for Candi to reach out so she could touch her hand! Just fabulous and I think I may have gotten a photo of it too. Security wasn't so tight last night and I managed to get a roll of film which I'll get developed shortly.

Saw Bubba before the show and he was so sweet, came over and said hi to Candi and I and took some pics with some other fans, he really is lovely!

After the show we bumped into Claire de Lune and some of her local friends and went back to their house for Champagne and a good chat about all things Cher. Adam and Damien were lovely, Andrew as well and the two boys from Sydney whos names escape me now - thank you for a lovely evening after the show.

Candi and I retired back to the hotel afterwards and talked for a bit before a great sleep. Then we checked out, had breakfast and I caught the train whilst she headed to the airport for her flight back to Melbourne.

A very wonderful trip, thoroughly enjoyed it! Off to Brisbane tomorrow!!!

David
_________________________
Cher Farewell Tour Australia 2005: 12 shows, 21 days, 5 cities! Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena - 26, 27 February & 1 March; Sydney's Entertainment Centre - 3, 4, 7 March; Newcastle's Entertainment Centre - 9 March; Brisbane's Entertainment Centre - 11 & 12 March; Adelaide's Entertainment Centre - 15 & 16 March; and the Australian Finale at Sydney's Entertainment Centre 18 March.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?