<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Kiwis host Cher on tour 

# posted by head blogger @ 10:40 pm
By Jonathon Moran
20-02-2005 From: AAP

ICONIC songstress Cher tonight kicked off the Australasian leg of her world tour, playing to 20,000 fans in Auckland.

The 56-year-old singer/actor performed her Farewell Tour, singing her hits from I've Got You Babe of the 1960s to Believe from the '90s.
"This is my last tour and I'm really happy that I came here," Cher told the crowd.

"I'm not going to give up show business but I'm going to give up touring because you know there are all of these young girls coming out like Britney and J-Lo," to which the crowd boo-ed.

"I know," she said, "They are ho's, aren't they?"

Tonight's show was Cher's 299th performance of her Farewell Tour.

She will play in Christchurch on Tuesday before her first Australian show in more than 10 years at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne on February 26.

But the singer won't be leaving the Kiwis for long.

So in love with the South Pacific, Cher said she was looking for a house in New Zealand.

She will take a private helicopter trip tomorrow over New Zealand's Bay of Islands to check out possible locations.

She will arrive in Melbourne on Wednesday and perform three dates there before taking in four shows in Sydney, one in Newcastle, two in Brisbane and two in Adelaide.

With seventies music group the Village People supporting, her last ever touring performance will be in Adelaide on March 16.

The $US3 million production is now in its fourth year and has been seen by almost three million fans.

The show covers Cher's hits from five decades in recording, television, theatre and film with the help of a company of 100 people.

It involves 12 costume changes and features the hits Gypsies Tramps and Thieves, Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down), I Found Someone and If I Could Turn Back Time.

Cher said The Farewell Tour would be her last because she did not want to go on performing when she would be too old to walk.

"My boobs would be down to my kneecaps and I would be toothless coming out (on stage)," Cher said tonight.

"So I don't think it is really a good idea."
__________________________________
Cher Farewell Tour Australia 2005: 12 shows, 21 days, 5 cities! Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena - 26, 27 February & 1 March; Sydney's Entertainment Centre - 3, 4, 7 March; Newcastle's Entertainment Centre - 9 March; Brisbane's Entertainment Centre - 11 & 12 March; Adelaide's Entertainment Centre - 15 & 16 March; and the Australian Finale at Sydney's Entertainment Centre 18 March.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?